I absolutely love Costco; from the free samples to the occasionally organic bulk food, they keep me and my family from heading to the market every single week….which I do anyways because I peruse Whole Foods for sales in my spare time…hi.
One of my favorite finds is Nature’s Path Organic Ancient Grains granola! Check dat nutritional profile VVV
For breakfast, the usual aim is 400-500 calories of whole grains/nuts/fruit, at least 6g of protein, and at least 9g of fiber total – which ensures (for me at least) hours of energy-stable, cranky-free, hunger-free, tummy-gurgleless satiation. I didn’t use some fancy calculator to generate those numbers but through purely personal experience and some fitness magazines seem to agree with that caloric range as well.
Ahhh the ingredients are sooo simple! This recipe is super quick and easy, filling and comforting, and requires minimal prep work! Since the cereal is already lightly sweetened and contains sliced almonds, half of your ‘toppings’ are done for you, and there’s an array of funky and typically expensive grains that you get in one convenient box. THANKS KIRKLAND SIGNATURE
Ancient Grains Hot Cereal — Quicker Oats!
- 3/4 c Ancient Grains cereal
- enough non-dairy milk to almost cover the cereal ~3/4 c almond milk
- toppings! coconut shreds, chopped nuts, a dollop of nut butter, sliced fruit, a sprinkle of hemp/chia/flax seeds, dried fruit (my favorite combination: small handful of chopped walnuts, 1 Tbs of raisins, and a dash of cinnamon)
- Combine the cereal and milk in a shallow bowl (minimizes risk of overflowing and making a mess of your microwave!), as you would with microwave oatmeal. Microwave for 2 minutes
- Chop your nuts and/or put away the cereal box and non-dairy milk carton while you wait
- Make sure the liquid is absorbed by the cereal to resemble a similar texture as shown in my picture below for a hearty texture, and top to your hearts desire.
- (For even more convenience, you can combine the ingredients and have them sit in your fridge overnight so in the morning all you have to do is press the 2:00 button on your microwave! For transportation you can shovel your piping hot grains into a glass jar, twist the lid on, and pack a spoon! )
Ah, my life in lists. I love the satisfaction of marking off a task with that awesome Sharpie squeak. Although you could easily keep track of your to-do list in your head, I find it more stimulating and effective to have the sucker staring you in the face all day.
ALWAYS EAT YOUR BREAKFAST, PREASE